I got to the hospital a little late this morning. I sometimes have trouble going to sleep so when that happens sometimes I don't wake up so early! Kristen just used the extra time to sleep in herself. Her platelets were only at 8 so she received a unit of platelets. This will probably happen several times yet. Her energy level was low today and she ran a bit of a low grade fever. I'm still struggling with getting her to walk. She did say she did her exercises though while I was down giving blood. Dr. Worth told Kristen that the median amount of time spent in the hospital after this kind of transplant is 28 days. Kristen was there for 18 days last year and that seemed like a long time. They will want evidence that the stem cells have started to work before they will let her move to outpatient status.
I went to a caregiver session this afternoon. I did learn some ways to relax that I hadn't thought of employing. I met another mom whose 17 year old son had relapsed from ALL. He was diagnosed in June 2009. They thought they had the ALL licked just like we did Kristen's AML. It felt good to be able to give blood while Kristen was getting her platelets. IF you are healthy enough to give don't wait around. Get yourself to your local Blood Bank. Donations often drop off in the summer so ... You make a difference. I had a great conversation with the phlebotomist while donating. Her son was killed at 17 and she and I talked about how she chooses to be happy and enjoy life. I told her I see way more Blessings in my life than ever before. Kristen and I are visiting a little more with the staff this time around. Maybe because we aren't as anxious. We want them to see us as more than a patient and caregiver so we need to see them as people and learn about their lives. One of the aides today, Dee, was so cute. She went and had her face painted with some of the kids and came in to show Kristen. It was about time for her to leave and she was off to choir practice. She told us they would tease her about having her face painted. I asked her if she would ever tattoo it that way and she said Lord, no!
So as I ask for prayer requests tonight, I'd like you to pray that WE remember to show interest in those that are there to care for Kristen. From the housekeeping to the Doctors, they all play a vital role in making MD A an excellent place for cancer treatment. Please also pray that Kristen pushes herself to walk daily. Even if it is just a little bit. It's vitally important to keep her heart and lungs strong. It also doesn't hurt me to get up off my hiney either. (Speaking of which, I make myself park on the 9th floor and walk down to the 3rd floor skywalk. The going down is easy. The climbing back up in Houston humidity just about kills me. I'm fine for the first 4 flights. The last two just about do me in! Mom, I now know a little of how you felt climbing the Waterloo monument 20 years ago!) Finally continue to pray and visualize healing. Visualize Kristen growing strong again and returning to finish school and beyond.
Now go Count your Blessings!