Friday, May 28, 2010

Day -5

Today is a good day for Kristen. She's been eating well and trying to stay active. As I write this she is in the Teen room with a group of young adults. They are doing art work with the artist in residence Ian. Sure breaks the monotony of watching tv all the time. I went for a walk when Kristen went to art. I can walk the skywalk between the hospital and Mays Clinic (another MD Anderson building) and I walked outside around the block. I use the term block loosely. The heat here has not become unbearable yet.

When I arrived this morning Kristen was still sleeping. I woke her up so that she wouldn't try to sleep all day. I think I have her talked into getting up in the a.m. and trying to be active. If she is tired she can nap in the afternoon. She said that she kept getting woken up from about 3 a.m. onward. Hospitals are not places to go and get some rest. The day nurses were surprised that I did not spend the night. Kristen looks a lot younger than she is and I think they forget that at 21 she needs some time without her mom!

I hope to post some videos this time around. Kristen got a Flip for Christmas that she remembered to bring.

Please continue to pray for the success of the transplant and that Kristen has few complications. Remember we want a little GVHD (graft vs host disease) but not a lot! If she has a little we hope that would be a sign that the cells are also attacking the leukemia.