Sunday, September 5, 2010

Sunday 10pm

After an eventful morning, Kristen had a pretty good afternoon. She was glad to see her mom, and so was I. Jill gave me a break to make it back to the apartment for a shower and a quick nap. They moved Kristen to a high-volume cannula (the little hose that goes under your nose), they cranked it up to 11 liters, and she has been holding strong at 94 to 95% saturation. They also gave her a some medicine to calm her down a little which has help slow her breathing just a little. After the events of the morning she was pretty agitated, and uncomfortable as well as scared. She had a much better afternoon. When I left Jill this evening Kristen ordered some Lemon Italian Ice along with a Sprite. This will be first thing other than water since Friday when I was able to get about a 1/5 of a boost in her. She asked for Italian ice last night, but didn't like the cherry, so I hope she liked the lemon and is able to get something more than a 1/2 a teaspoon.

We still have respiratory concerns along with the fact that all cultures and work to date has come up negative. Hopefully something will begin growing in these cultures sometime soon so they can target specific drugs to help her combat the problem. The transplant team took her off the steroids today, so that should help her combat the infection too. They were looking to rule out any thoughts of GVHD via the steroids. Since they didn't see any improvement I think they are ruling that out and the prevailing opinion is still that of some type of fungal infection. At some point they have talked of a potential lung biopsy if things don't improve, and will either do this via a bronchoscope, laparoscopic or perhaps a needle biopsy. Given her condition I think they would most likely need to per her on a respirator which they are trying to avoid if at all possible.

Please continue prayers for the following:

1. That her respiratory improves soon
2. That what ever this is has a response to the drugs soon
3. Wisdom for the medical team that is treating her

Take care, and God Bless!

Devin.