Monday, September 6, 2010

Night Shift Update

I spent the night with Kristen so that Devin could get some real sleep. It was quite the eventful, emotional night. When I got there yesterday I wasn't really prepared for seeing her like this. But I managed to hold it together for most of the night. The nurse Evelyn was fabulous. She kept a close eye on Kristen. They have been regularly checking her blood sugar and at 2:00 a.m. it was 170 so they gave her a little insulin. By 5 a.m. it was 208 so she got more. They intubated Kristen around 5:30 this morning. They decided it was time because she was working way to hard to breath with the oxygen alone. They sedated her and it seemed to take them no time at all. Once again the doctors and the team were so good to me. As the anesthetist left he touched my knee and said he hoped things improved from there and to hang in there. I woke this morning about 7:30 to the day nurse a little excited. It seems Kristen had slipped one of her restraints and was trying to get the tube out of her mouth. They had to give her more sedation and restrain her. I forgot to tell them how easily she can slip her hand through a little circle. We still have no diagnosis. They still tend to believe it is some type of fungal pneumonia. Devin read that it can take 10-30 days for some of those cultures to grow. What?! They will do another bronchoscopy this morning. I'm not sure why they aren't taking a biopsy of the tissue. I guess her platelets are low from all the medications and they don't feel it is safe.

Please continue to pray for us. Kristen needs healing. We need strength and perseverance. I'm off to sleep for a while. Thank you and thank God for all the wonderful dedicated staff that he is putting in our path.