Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Day 13

Kristen gets to go home(to the apartment) tomorrow. Kristen gets to go home(apartment) tomorrow! She's basically ready to go. Her blood pressure is still causing some concern and she doesn't seem to be able to hold her platelets. They are the last of the blood cells to regenerate. According to our nurse today, they are the biggest of the blood cells also. Today a new issue cropped up with her hands and feet. She was experiencing a little neuropathy. This is a common side effect I guess. Since her feet were hurting so bad she really wasn't in much of a walking mood. I did get her to sit in the chair for most of the day. I figure every time she had to crawl over the bed to go to the bathroom she got some exercise. Trust me, with the amount of fluids they force into the patients they get up a lot! Before I left tonight she made me pack up all of her stuff. So do you think she's anxious to have a change of scenery? We know from our experience last year that we will still be spending a good portion of each day at the hospital until her platelets show signs of recovery. We also will be going home with an arsenal of medications. You name it we probably have it.

Devin returned to Fayetteville safely. Is it bad that I took him to the airport and came back to the apartment and got another hour of sleep? I enjoyed my time at home. I got to be with Steven, cuddle my cats, see my friends, and float in the pool in the sunshine. Just what the doctor ordered.

Your prayers have helped us immensely and continue to help us. Please pray for the success of the engraftment. The defeat of the cancer cells. (All of them this time.) Pray that Kristen continue to improve, her blood pressure, and other minor side effects. Pray that her platelets get busy and grow. Give praise for all of her fabulous caregivers. Like Devin mentioned, we seem to have someone poke their head in all the time to tell her goodbye (and don't come back!). They really want to see the patients heal and not have to return. I feel blessed that Kristen is still sunshine and light even in the midst of this. I also feel blessed that others feel it too.

Also, please send cards if you get a chance. We LOVE getting mail. Nothing special. One of our favorite people just writes about her day. It is perfect. We feel like we are there with her.