Thursday, October 1, 2009

Scatter Shot

Kristen had her regular appointment today. Devin met her there so that we could make sure we aren't missing anything. Praise be! Her White count is normal, her hemoglobin is just a little shy of normal and her platelets continue to be normal. Her appetite continues to be and issue but we are pulling out all the tricks. A lot of it is her remembering that food is fuel. If your aren't hungry it's easier to pick up something healthy. Her Tacrolinus (immune suppressant) makes her a little unsteady so she had a little fall this week. Her poor shins. But Hallelujah! She is improving steadily. Our next Houston visit is a day trip on the 15th of October.

My friend calls it scatter shot when your writing doesn't seem to have a direct them. It just roams all over the place. Today is scatter shot.

I meant to blog yesterday but was too sleepy in the evening. I remember when I was a teen I'd be sitting with my mom in the evening and she would dose off. I'm close to the age she was then so now it's my turn! :o)

WARNING: The following is my opinion and my opinion alone.
The Roman Pulanski thing. I am outraged. Rape is rape right?! What do they mean when they say it wasn't rape rape. How is it ever ethical to give a 13 YEAR OLD alcohol and Quaaludes and expect them to be able to reason like an adult. This is why they have these laws! The man ran away to avoid prosecution. Even he knew he crossed a line. It is a shame that he has been allowed to avoid prosecution this long. So in my opinion, shame on the prosecutors for waiting, shame on him for running and the crime, and shame on all those who don't get that 13 year old does not have the mental development to be able to stand up to a powerful older adult.
OK, I'm off my soapbox on that topic.

Mentors. I guess I always thought of a mentor as a person that you would meet, talk with, and discuss. But since I've been reading Oswald Chambers book this year, I feel like he has been my mentor. I've been stunned over the readings for Sept. 30 and Oct. 1. It's like he knew what I'd been pondering. I used to sing the hymn "Here I Am" with the desire that I would hear God's call. You can find his daily meditations at: http://www.myutmost.org/addnl/day_index.html
Wow.

So, you all know how Kristen and I have been cleaning out everything... Well, early this week my light bulb went on. Kristen and I were talking yesterday and I said Kristen it's not just been about getting rid of the old has it. She agreed. It's been about control. We haven't had a lot of control in the past few months. Being able to change and simplify our environment is us reasserting control. (Okay, I know, I spend way way too much time thinking and self analyzing. They say that you study psychology to a) help others or b) because you want to figure yourself out. I think there is a c but I can't remember it!)

I'm in a book club that tries to read a classic at least once during the year. I just finished Bram Stoker's Dracula. First off, Stoker is very long winded. It's very characteristic of other writers of his time. It reminded me of reading Jane Austen or the Bronte sisters.