Monday, September 28, 2009

Do you talk too much?

As I was driving today, the lyrics of a song caught my attention. It referred to not being able to hear God because of talking too much. It reminded me of a time when Kristen was 3. My mom had come to visit us in Belgium and Kristen was SO excited to have her there. Before my mom woke up Kristen was laying outside her door. The minute it opened Kristen just started chattering away. It didn't even matter when mom went into the bathroom and shut the door, little Krissy was just a talking away. You just had to laugh, you certainly couldn't get a word in yourself. So are we like that when we talk to God. I know I am sometimes. I spend so much time talking that I don't listen very well. I don't doubt that God's reaction is the same as ours was long ago. Amused but after a while He'd like to participate in the conversation. I find that now that we are home, I spend more time talking than listening. I let other things get in the way. I want to rush through my quiet time to get on to something else. I need to be more purposeful in my alone time with God. I need to not only talk to Him but I need to wait on His side of the conversation. It was easier to do when we were in Houston where the everyday aspects of life did not intrude. So now, just like exercise, I need to make sure God gets priority time.