Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Day +4

All was well today, Kristen slept in a little as I kept her from her nap yesterday afternoon so she was trying to catch up. We had a quiet day, the activity for the day was a beach party that they hosted in the pediatric dome. That's an activity area they have on the floor to get the kids out of their rooms and active. Kristen tie-dyed T-Shirts with the smaller children. We'll get it back tomorrow, so it should be interesting. The Hospital also opened up a video conference with one of the local aquariums. I don't know that I would call it the next best thing to being there for the children, but it was pretty cool. They were able to see some of the fish and stingrays. Kristen was able to sneak a nap in this afternoon but they had the air conditioning off on the floor for a few hours, and at 101 degrees outside it was a little uncomfortable in the room. Hopefully they have that issue resolved as this has been, and will continue to be a 100+ week for Houston. Pretty unusual for this time of the year.

One of Kristen's childhood friends visited today with her mother. We knew them from Bartlesville and they have since transfered to Houston with ConocoPhilllps. Her mother had knitted Kristen a beautiful prayer shawl.

Kristen's mouth is starting to bother her, and it will probably get a little worse as the week continues. I told her today that I was afraid it was going to get worse over the next few days and it would get more difficult for her to eat. In the typical glass is half full reponse, "that's OK dad, the quicker I get sick, the quicker I'll get better." While true, it's a process we'll have to go through, we would rather skip it.

Please continue to pray for Kristen to remain strong, for the stem cells to en graft and begin to produce blood cells, and for a minimum of complications over the coming weeks.