Saturday, September 11, 2010

5:15 pm


The six of us have rotated in and out of Kristen's room. We are still praying for our miracle. There is so much love in this room. We cry and we laugh. I try to sing but my voice is hoarse from crying and breathing through a mask. Her vitals remain the same. Although she is running a low fever again. They continue to tell us they hear no bowel sounds. And yet, we do not give up hope. I found myself at one point this afternoon desperate to have skin to skin contact. We wear gloves and masks to keep from carrying infection out to other patients. I tore off my gloves and held her hand. And I'm not ashamed to say that I begged God to let us keep her longer. That I knew she is His but, like a child with a borrowed toy, I wasn't ready to return her. We've had a little joke for years that Kristen was meant for us. She has a birthmark on her abdomen that looks like a G and the number 4. It was the mark that they had on her in Heaven for her to go to a G family in April. It didn't fade like it does on most babies.

Many of you know that Kristen was waiting for the all clear so that she could get a tattoo of an orange tiger lily to represent leukemia and her battle. She has a file on her laptop with ideas. One of them had the tiger lily with Isaiah 43:2 tattooed with it. "When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you." (I'll add the picture to this post when we get back to Kristen's laptop.)

Continue to pray. Kristen needs a miracle. Two of the doctors sound like they are ready to give up. Dr. Malik, the infectious disease doctor, tells us that he can not get her out of his mind. He thinks about her at night racking his brain for ideas. Devin and I need strength. We continue to stay strong in the Lord and will not let our faith be shaken. All is possible with God.