Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Day 0

Kristen received her cord blood today at 11 and again at about 1:30. Both transfusions were uneventful. Chaplain Maddox came by and prayed with us over the first cord. Dr. Petropolis and Lindsey (our RN), Devin, Kristen and I all laid hands on it during the prayer. In about 30 minutes we were all done. Fast? Not like last year when the cells took several hours to transfuse. Kristen slept for a while after she received the first cord. One of her pre-meds was Benadryl and it knocked her right out. The preservative they add to the blood can give you a bad taste in your mouth and it causes a smell. We've been teasing Kristen about it. Devin thinks it smells a little like acetylene that is used in welding. I'll write more later. I'm using my iPhone again since I can't seem to get an Internet connection on Kristen's computer. Hopefully we will have a little video so you can understand the process. I took most of it so don't hold your breathe. I'm notorious for bad pictures and videos!